Monday, December 21, 2009

Just In Time For the Holidays

This past weekend, Curt and I went to my sister Linda's "cabin" in the woods near Lansing, Iowa for my family's version of Christmas. At the big event, my sister served up some of the most amazing cheesy potatoes I've ever had. Curt and I made some for our friends when we returned home. Another big hit. The recipe is extremely easy to make. So, here is my (my sister's really, but who's keeping track) holiday gift to all of you:

Sister Linda's Kick Ass Pan of Cheesy Potatoes
(with color commentary by me)
2 lbs of hash browns
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
8 oz of sour cream
(NOTE: don't be a pussy and try to save calories or sodium on the cream of soups and sour cream. This is cheesy potatoes for god's sake. Let them be bad ass.)
1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter softened or even melted
8 oz of finely shredded cheddar cheese
(I used sharp cheddar. Use real cheese or I will call you a name.)
5-6 cups of Corn Flakes crushed
(Not Special K!)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a big bowl, mix the soups, sour cream, butter and cheese. Mix in the hash browns until they are well coated with cheesy, soupy mix. (Feel free to add some pepper or diced onions, too.)
3. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with Pam. Spread the potato mixture evenly in the pan and place in the pre-heated for 60 minutes.
4. Crush the cornflakes. Not to a dust, but a crumble.
5. At about 50 minutes of baking, pull the pan out and spread the cornflake crumbles on top of the potatoes and return to the oven to finish.

EAT! YUM!

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

I'm having a cardiac arrest just READING this!! Must.make.immediately!

Kireliols said...

Couldn't you have worked some bacon and it's drippings into this? Talk about being a pussy!!

Little Sister said...

Ahhh, bacon, secret ingredient...
These sound just potluck yummy beyond belief. THANKS!

brenda k said...

This is the recipe I have, too! Used it for our Anniversary party - only I had to make 75 servings and mix it in a trash can! (newly purchased just for the task mind you)

brenda k said...

If you also love the comforts of biscuits and gravy - lemme know. I have a homemade recipe for that that is KILLER.

Dale said...

Any kind of cheesy potatoes make me almost believe in God! Happy Cheesy Potatoes!!