Sunday, April 12, 2009

Today's Birdies

This morning I decided it was pretty enough for me to venture outside with my camera to try to capture images of birdies at the feeders. I set up my blind on the deck. Okay, it wasn't a blind. It was me sitting on the deck between two patio chairs, but I felt a little like Marlin Perkins. So, it was a blind, okay. Anyway, here are the birdies that I was actually able catch on film:
This little fellow is a Downy Woodpecker. We've named all our Downy Woodpeckers Robert or Roberta.

This is a little American Goldfinch. He is in mid-molt. The American Goldfinch is the only finch that molts twice: once in the autumn to turn brown for winter and once in the spring to turn yellow (males) or olive (females) for summer.

I think this is a Pine Siskin. He jumped into the deck mounted bird bath about three feet from my head. Cute little thing he is.

This American Robin stopped for a drink at the pond. He/she was singing in a nearby tree for about a half hour before coming coming down for a drink. Robins have a gorgeous song. I heart robins.
Say hello again to my little friend. This is the male Pileated Woodpecker that visited us on Friday. Pretty, pretty. Curt and I ooohed and aaahed again. We'll never get tired of this bird. So cool to see a woodpecker as big as a crow.


6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Those are AMAZING!! I can just see you in your little blind. My Mom would have been right there with you.

Iguana Banana said...

These photos are so beautiful! I wish I lived at your house! I am amazed that you got such great photos - what kind of camera are you shooting with?

Coaster Punchman said...

Don't you have cats?.....

Mnmom said...

Last night, I dreamt that I was telling someone about the birds on your blog. AHH! I can't even escape real life in my sleep!!!

michaelg said...

Iguana- I'm using a Canon Rebel Xsi with a telephoto lens. My pictures would be even better if I could learn to depress the button without jerking the camera around. Sad.
CP- No kitties. Just puppies. Though I do see our neighbor's cat stroll through occasionally. He can smell the dogs and moves on pretty quickly. Naughty kitty, but smart.

laurie said...

i love pileateds. they look just like pteredachtyls.