Monday, May 5, 2008

A Great Day "At Work"

I was sort of "at work" today. However, instead of going in to the office, about 20 of us went to do an all day Habitat for Humanity build in St. Paul. This is my fourth build since starting at the Lutheran company. I love this stuff. We all, of course, know that Lutherans are generally very nice people. But, did you know that the nice Lutheran company that I work for just finished a five-year donation program totaling $100 million dollars, which helped to build 500 homes per year? They also sponsor world-wide builds. My employee C, the benevolent, is going to New Zealand in October for 2 1/2 weeks on a build. Sweet.

We got to work outside framing the homes. It was a lovely 70 degrees and perfectly sunny. I didn't embarrass myself this year by trying to cut lumber. Last year, it was not so pretty. The old saying "measure twice, cut once" for me becomes "measure twice, cut once, throw board into scrap lumber, grab new board, repeat." Sad really. Where's a nice lesbian to show me how to use the power tools when I need one? So, today, I got to pound nails, which I can do with some proficiency and lift things, which I can also do. Hooray. I am useful. And charitable. Even better.

1 comment:

Mnmom said...

Lesbians DO come in handy, don't they? I've always wanted to join a HforH build. Call me next time and I'll come along.