Sunday, March 29, 2009

Furry Devils

Negotiating with squirrels is pointless. So, I try to baffle them instead. Yet, they still find a way to reach the bird feeders. I have installed a squirrel baffle to the recommended 5 feet. It is apparently not so baffling that they can't climb up three feet on the bird feeder pole, leap 3 feet through the air on to the lowest hanging feeder and eat to their furry little heart's content.
My solution: Poodle. Louis loves to chase the squirrels and gets wild eyed when I even say the word "squirrel." Now, if a squirrel is on the bird feeders, I go to the door, whisper "squirrel!" with some urgency and release the snarling squirrel hunter. Part of the fun is that Louis is absolutely determined to catch one. He puts his head down and runs with all his might after the little bastards. It's pretty cute. He hasn't caught one yet, and I honestly don't know what would happen if he did. I would probably scream like a girl, then try to figure it out. Good in a crisis. That's me.

7 comments:

themom said...

What are you going to do if the poodle does get one...you may have to consider mouth to mouth or some other life saving technique. Poor birds, poor squirrels - what a hard choice to make. I don't feed the birds here - there are enouogh neighbors doing that. I have a pot load of squirrels though - hmmm...is there a trade off?

michaelg said...

Louie has been chasing squirrels for 12 years and hasn't gotten too close to catching one. (knocking on wood) To distract the squirrels, I went out today and bought a corn bungee for them- two ears of corn on a springy thing attached a to a pole across the yard. Hope it helps. I'm such a sucker.

brenda k said...

Mark used a metal pole on our massive satelitte dish feeder! Those little squirrels can look and salivate - but that's about it!

Too slippery for the clawed little fella's!

Madame Leiderhosen said...

Damn. I want video.

Mnmom said...

Remember our dog Winnie? She'd absolutely lose her mind when we said "squirrel". You'll need Shirley around to stomp on the heads of injured squirrels and put them out of their misery - she's quite good at that.

Coaster Punchman said...

Why, them squirrels sure is tasty though!

Dale said...

I had a perfect squirrel moment today which I'll have to blog about. Effing squirrels!