Sunday, October 21, 2007

Another @#$#!*% Trip to Whole Foods

Why can't I leave Whole Foods with only what I intended to get?? Aaarrrggghh!! This morning, I stopped in after the farmer's market to pick up a bottle of balsamic vinegar. I quickly found a bottle and popped it in my basket and was ready to go.
Then it happened- the evil cheese counter. I start looking at some cheese with no real intent to buy any, when I hear a voice from behind the counter. It is one of Whole Foods' many cheese incubuses- a disarmingly cute, polite, 20-something young man with cheese knowledge- saying "Sir, could I interest you in some Stilton with a chile-lime puree on a spelt cracker this morning?" Of course, I said yes. What was I supposed to say- "F*ck you, cheese boy, minion of the dark lord of quality dairy products?" It was like he read my mind- cheese? chile? lime? This guy was good.
So, what did I leave with? A bottle of balsamic vinegar, two varieties of stinky cheese, a 9.99 3 oz jar of chile-lime puree (!!!), a tiny bottle of truffle oil that I spotted at the evil cheese counter and a copy of the UTNE Reader with the cover story "Why Are We So Angry?". Why? Because we spend all our money at the damn cheese counter. That's why!
When I got home I opened the blue and left the gorgonzola for later, sliced a pear, and dabbed a teaspoon of chile-lime puree on the plate. It was a moment of heaven- and it fit on my Whole New Me diet/fitness plan.

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

The only way to avoid the evil cheese counter is to shop with small children - then you CAN'T WAIT to get them out of there.

Kireliols said...

I have a milkman who brings me cheese- but only cheese from bongards, so I'm not all that tempted. If he ever adds brie to the list, I'll have to fire him.

Mnmom said...

Oh the creamy goodness of brie - I DO miss brie . . . on crackers, on apples, straight into my mouth, fresh from the oven . . .

Kireliols said...

yeah, I've always wanted to do something fancy with brie - but it never lives very long once it's unwrapped. I kind of view it as a moldy cheese sandwich- a very tasty, moldy cheese sandwich. The whole wedge is gone in less time than it takes me to think of something else to do with it.