Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Hate the Sound of Music

Don't you just want to slap them all?


Today I came clean. I said something to my employee C that I have rarely let out of the bag and that few people will admit to. We were walking through the lobby at work where someone, who was supposed to be singing Christmas Carols, was singing "My Favorite Things" instead. I turned to C and proclaimed "I hate Julie Andrews and I hate The Sound of Music." Apparently, this darn lingering cold has turned my filters off and I'm just spewing out the truth. C looked stunned. I looked up for the bolt of lightning then around me for the gay mafia coming to revoke my membership. It's true. I can't bear to listen to Julie Andrews, look at Julie Andrews and especially can't stomach another viewing of those annoying little Austrian brats in foofy leiderhosen and skirts made from those garish curtains chasing after that prim little Julie Andrews and her annoying guitar. If I were Captain Von Trapp and my perky little governess had destroyed my curtains, came between me and my mistress, and taught my children cloying ditties like "So Long, Farewell" and "Doe a Deer", I would have gunned her down and maybe even taken out her Mother Superior for sending her my way. Every time Ralph blows that damn whistle I hope and pray that they'll at least capture Maria and send her off. Never happens though.


Now I know at least three readers of this blog who will be horrified. So, while you're forgiving me, please also forgive me when I say that I didn't much care for "Victor Victoria" either.

6 comments:

Cheesecake Maven said...

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! I've always hated that movie. Talk about syrup, that thing is smothered in it. Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins, you bet! I LOVE that one, but Maria? nope. Just too sickeningly sweet.

Madame Leiderhosen said...

Unless it's a Sound of Music Sing A Long in the Castro Theater late Saturday Night, count me out.

I've always been greatly depressed that I will never grow up to be Robert Preston.

Mnmom said...

I am SO TELLING on you! You are definitely going to get your membership revoked and they'll reclaim that toaster oven too!

I could do a sing-a-long but the rest of it? Bleh.

Dale said...

Well well well! You'd hate more the production that's playing here with the lead chosen from a reality show. That said, it's actually a rather brilliant production helmed by Andrew Floyd Kramer, I mean Andrew Lloyd Weber. While I like the movie too, I support you at this difficult but courageous point in your journey. :-)

Melinda June said...

You people are the devil. That's like hating kittens. Or even their whiskers.

michaelg said...

...and we hate warm woolen mittens and all things tied up with string. HA HA HA ha ha ha ha <------best I could do for a collective evil laugh.